Friday, May 05, 2006

There is no spoon

Our state of mind shapes our experience. Our brain can tell us we're miserable on our birthday, happy in prison, calm during a tornado or stressed out at a knitting club.

For example: My commute to Charan takes a total of two and half hours. I have to walk, good Lordy, in the heat and sometimes the rain and always in the dust past noisy people and the dirt gets up in my nose. Afterwards, I blow my nose and black snots come out. Gross! Holy crap it makes me tired. Then I have to teach screaming kiddos that would rather hang on me like I'm a walking playground than learn squat about maths and English. Look, I can see their lice and scabies and cooties marching right up onto my arm. Get me out of here!!

But what if it was more like this: Damn, I am one lucky duck! My commute to and from Charan is breathtaking. I walk past the freaking Himalayas on my way to work, how neat!! I found a secret mountain path past some little villages; there's lots of rock hopping and steep slip-sliding down the dirt. The only traffic I have to deal with are herds of goats, wayward cows with their pointy horns, and plenty of pups who are happy to tag along, asking only for a brief ear scratching in return. When I arrive in Charan people are happy to see me, and I am happy to see them. My students scream and smile when I arrive, and they pull on my arm when I leave, begging for one more math question (it's true, some do), or one more game of one-legged tag. Sometimes class is chaotic, but I work with children whose parents' would rather they beg on the streets than go to school. I can't expect them to be model citizens. The journey home is physically challenging, but invigorating. I sleep well at night, knowing I did something meaningful with my day. Go me. Listen to me honk my own horn, HONK! Damn it, I love what I do here!

There is no spoon. Woah.

3 Comments:

At 4:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brent,
I've been thinking about you and finally had time to check in on your blogsite. It is such a wonderful way to let everyone know how you are doing. You are a beautiful writer and I found myself wanting to read more.It is wonderful to hear your happiness in the writing. The pictures are beautiful.
I went to Madagascar with Habitat in March/April. What a beautiful country!!!! So green!!! and very hilly. The build and all the people were great. (Some challenges, but hey, what's life without challenges?) No, I leave for Mozambique in a week. This has been a wonderful year, filled with new experiences. Cindy will meet me in Zambia in June, then I am doing another build and she will come, but not "with the team" and "work" ath the school and the orphanage. I am so excited about all that has been done in Kaoma over the year. (It is great to see other Americans who realize local people know what they need and can make decisions for themselves about what is important. Also nice to let others know about it.)
Glad to hear you are doing well and having a wondrous experience.
Lots of Love,
Lynn

 
At 4:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,
I have been reading your blog weekly and finally decided to comment. The same time Lynn did, crazy. Anyway, like she said you write so well, each entry is
so thoughtful and interesting. You really make me think in a different, more positive light. There are few days that go by that I don't think about our time in Uganda and how fortunate we were with the people
we met and the experience we had.
I also looked at the website for the school you are going to and it sounds amazing! I am so happy for you. Too bad us Canadians can't take part hah. Anyways, keep on keeping on, you sound like you
are having an amazing experience. Your such an attentive and energetic person that the kids are so blessed to have you around.
Love Amelia

 
At 4:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, do you mean 2.5 hours EACH WAY??! Or 1.25 hours one way and then again after work? In either case, that's a lot of walking! Tofu from a rainforest?! Say it isn't so!

Thanks for your gorgeous descriptions/photos and your insights. We love reading your blog. We miss you! Pauline

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home